- Revenues up 15 percent to $8.0 billion
- Diluted earnings per share up 27 percent to $1.09
- Worldwide futures orders up 11 percent, 14 percent growth excluding currency changes
- Inventories as of August 31, 2014 up 14 percent
"Fiscal year 2015 is off to a strong start. Our connection to consumers and ability to innovate, combined with our powerful global portfolio, is a complete offense,” said Mark Parker, President and CEO of NIKE, Inc. “Nike has never been better positioned to realize our tremendous growth potential."*First Quarter Income Statement Review
- Revenues for NIKE, Inc. increased 15 percent on both a reported and currency neutral basis, to $8.0 billion.
- Revenues for the Nike Brand were $7.4 billion, up 15 percent on a currency neutral basis, with growth in every product type, geography and key category, except Action Sports and Golf.
- Revenues for Converse were $575 million, up 16 percent on a currency neutral basis, driven by market conversions in Europe and Asia as well as continued growth in our direct distribution markets such as the United States and United Kingdom.
- Gross margin increased 170 basis points to 46.6 percent. The increase was primarily attributable to a shift in the product mix to higher margin products, higher average prices and continued growth in the higher-margin DTC business, partially offset by higher product input costs.
- Selling and administrative expense increased 21 percent to $2.5 billion. Demand creation expense was $897 million, up 23 percent versus the prior year, mainly driven by marketing investments in the World Cup. Operating overhead expense increased 19 percent to $1.6 billion due to higher costs for the expanding DTC business and investments in operational infrastructure.
- Other expense (income), net was $3 million, comprised primarily of foreign exchange losses. For the quarter, the Company estimates the year-over-year change in foreign currency related gains and losses included in other expense (income), net combined with the impact of changes in currency exchange rates on the translation of foreign currency-denominated profits, increased pretax income by approximately $32 million.
- The effective tax rate was 21.7 percent, compared to 25.0 percent for the same period last year, primarily due to the resolution of tax audits across several jurisdictions and an increase in earnings from operations outside of the U.S., which are generally subject to a lower tax rate.
- Net income increased 23 percent to $962 million, while diluted earnings per share increased 27 percent to $1.09, reflecting a 3 percent decline in the weighted average diluted common shares outstanding.
- Inventories for NIKE, Inc. were $4.0 billion, up 14 percent from August 31, 2013, driven by a 13 percent increase in Nike Brand wholesale inventories as well as higher inventories associated with growth in DTC and Converse. Nike Brand wholesale inventories were higher due to a 12 percent increase in units, while changes in the average product cost per unit, combined with the impact of changes in foreign currency exchange rates, drove approximately 1 percentage point of growth.
- Cash and short-term investments were $4.6 billion, $1.0 billion lower than last year as growth in net income was more than offset by share repurchases, investments in working capital and higher dividends.
During the first quarter, NIKE, Inc. repurchased a total of 10.6 million shares for approximately $819 million as part of the four-year, $8 billion program approved by the Board of Directors in September 2012. As of the end of the first quarter, a total of 62.5 million shares had been repurchased under this program for $4.2 billion, an average cost of approximately $67.74 per share.
As of the end of the quarter, worldwide futures orders for Nike Brand athletic footwear and apparel scheduled for delivery from September 2014 through January 2015 were 11 percent higher than orders reported for the same period last year. Excluding currency changes, reported orders would have increased 14 percent.*
Nike management will host a conference call beginning at approximately 2 p.m. PT on September 25, 2014 to review first quarter results. The conference call will be broadcast live over the internet and can be accessed at http://investors.nikeinc.com. For those unable to listen to the live broadcast, an archived version will be available at the same location through 9 p.m. PT, October 2, 2014.
About NIKE, Inc.
NIKE, Inc., based near Beaverton, Oregon, is the world's leading designer, marketer and distributor of authentic athletic footwear, apparel, equipment and accessories for a wide variety of sports and fitness activities. Wholly owned NIKE, Inc. subsidiaries include Converse Inc., which designs, markets and distributes athletic lifestyle footwear, apparel and accessories, and Hurley International LLC, which designs, markets and distributes surf and youth lifestyle footwear, apparel and accessories.
For more information, NIKE’s earnings releases and other financial information are available on the Internet at http://investors.nikeinc.com and individuals can follow @Nike.
View the Press Release and Financial Tables
Source Nike by press release ©
More news about Nike ? Use the Search Engine at the right top of the site.