The nation's largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories is accepting entries from the entire U.S., including the District of Columbia, as well as Puerto Rico and Canada (excluding the province of Quebec).
"As a leading marine retailer, we want to use our position to support and promote sustainable innovation in the marine industry," said Matt Hyde, CEO, West Marine.
The Green Product of the Year is an important component of West Marine's BlueFuture initiative to help create a sustainable future for our planet. The Green Product of the Year will be announced and the award of $10,000 will be presented to the winner at the 2013 Miami International Boat Show.
The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors of boating products.
The judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
- Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
- Economy: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis (use of the product will save $xx).
- Environmental Impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Due to the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metric.
- Degree of Innovation: Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
- Timing: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2011, 2012 or will it be introduced in 2013?
- Verification of claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entry must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
Participants can enter the contest, as well as view the complete rules and entry requirements, by completing an entry form at westmarine.com/green between August 13, 2012 and November 23, 2012.