Brooks Running Company today recognized the amazing acts of 26 high school track and cross country coaches nationwide by naming them finalists for its 2013 Inspiring Coaches award. In its third year, the Inspiring Coaches program honors high school track and cross country coaches who motivate their teams and communities through meaningful and lasting leadership.
Beginning today, runners, students, families and community members can vote for their favorite 2013 Inspiring Coaches Finalists. The voting period lasts until July 21, 2013, with this year’s most inspiring coach announced on Aug. 7, 2013. Visit www.facebook.com/brooksrunning to vote for the finalist coaches and learn about their special stories.
“Year after year, we hear about more truly amazing track and cross country coaches,” said Brooks Running Company CEO Jim Weber. “These coaches spark greatness on the run, in the classroom and well beyond high school. Their contributions to young runners and our sport make us proud to give this award each year and share their stories with the running community.”
From thousands of nominations, the following coaches were chosen as 2013 Inspiring Coaches finalists:
- Allan Lockridge, Pojoaque High School, Santa Fe, N.M.
- Brandon Beltz, Inland Lakes High School, Indian River, Mich.
- Chris Cronin, Northville High School, Northville, Mich.
- Chris McAfee, De Soto High School, De Soto, Kan.
- Corbin Talley, Davis High School, Kaysville, Utah
- Danny Weed, Flagler Palm Coast High School, Palm Coast, Fla.
- Doug Butler, Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy, Melbourne, Fla.
- Drew Benyo, Jim Thorpe Area High School, Jim Thorpe, Pa.
- Erica Hill, Mercer Island High School, Mercer Island, Wash.
- Jeffrey Downin, Marlborough High School, Marlborough, Mass.
- Jerry Dotson, Cary High School, Cary, N.C.
- John Hotchkiss, Mission San Jose High School, Fremont, Calif.
- Justin Torres, Bishop Mora Salesian High School, Los Angeles
- Kurt Wayton, West Windsor Plainsboro High School, West Windsor, N.J.
- Larry Buffington, Gayville-Volin High School, Gayville, S.D.
- Lee Webb, James Logan High School, Union City, Calif.
- Mike Wright, Milford High School, Milford, N.H.
- Natalie Krause, New Prairie High School, New Carlisle, Ind.
- Nate Carpenter, Sacopee Valley High School, Hiram, Maine
- Nicole Petty, Garfield High School, Seattle
- Randy Wilson, Central Cambria High School, Ebensburg, Pa.
- Scott Werner, Westphalia High School, Westphalia, Mich.
- Stephanie Winkler, Buena Regional High School, Buena, N.J.
- Steve Grube, Crow High School, Eugene, Ore.
- Steve O’Brien, Tyee High School, Seatac, Wash.
- Tauwon Taylor, Moline High School, Moline, Ill.
- $5,000 in Brooks performance running footwear, apparel and/or accessories for his or her team;
- $500 cash for additional team expenses; and
- Membership into the Brooks Inspire Daily (I.D.) program.
- $5,000 in Brooks gear;
- An additional $2,000 in cash; and
- A trip for two to the 2014 Brooks PR Invitational.
Past recipients of the Brooks Inspiring Coach of the Year Award include 2011 winner Amy Pitzel from Katy Taylor High School in Katy, Texas, and last year’s winner Paul Raley from Benton High School in Benton, Wis.
About Brooks Running Company
Brooks Running Company designs and markets running-specific performance footwear, apparel, and accessories in more than 60 countries worldwide. Brooks’ mission is to inspire everyone to run and be active by creating innovative gear that keeps them running longer, farther and faster. Brooks’ mission is supported by its Run Happy philosophy, a quest to celebrate and champion the sport of running and all runners everywhere. Founded 1914, Brooks is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. and is headquartered in Seattle. Visit www.brooksrunning.com for more information or follow us on Twitter (@brooksrunning) and Facebook (www.Facebook.com/brooksrunning).
Brooks Running Company / Derek Lactaoen, 425-939-2640 / Derek.Lactaoen@brooksrunning.com