“Grassroots members and their local nonprofit partners demonstrated the power of grassroots partnership and conservation in 2012,” said Scott Welch, global corporate relations manager, Columbia Sportswear Company. “Based on the incredible performance of last year’s recipients and quality of this year’s proposals, we are proud to expand the program.”
Grassroots and Columbia share a mission of promoting long-term environmental good for the great outdoors on local, national and global levels. To demonstrate our commitment to the outdoors, as well as Columbia’s appreciation of Grassroots members’ current conservation efforts, we established the Columbia/Grassroots Belay Program. To belay is simply to secure and safeguard a climber by using rope. The Belay Program is designed to provide the basic necessities to secure and safeguard local projects improving our environment.
“Our members appreciate this expanded investment in local conservation by Columbia,” said Roanne Miller, President, Grassroots. “This support is critical for the success of local conservation projects, promotes community partnership and volunteerism, and enhances current Grassroots projects and partnerships.”
The following 16 organizations were selected by Grassroots members for support in the 2013 program year. The recipients are located in 15 different States (from Arizona to Virginia) and will receive $5,000 in the form of cash, product, or both from Columbia.
2013 Awards (Project name, grant recipient/Grassroots partner):
- Climbing Higher, City of Chattanooga Parks and Recreation/Rock Creek Outfitters
- Every Child Outside: Outdoor Adventures for City Kids, Common Ground/Trailblazer
- G.O.A.T. Kids’ Racing Series, Team Revolution/Alpine Shop
- Habitat Restoration & Exotic Plant Control in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park/Appalachian Outfitters
- Homer Lake Natural Playscape and NatureScape
- Exploration/Stewardship Programs, Forest Preserve Friends Foundation, Champaign County/Champaign Surplus
- Inheriting the Atchafalaya Basin, Atchafalaya Basinkeeper, Inc./Pack and Paddle
- Kids in Kayaks, Port Royal Sound Foundation/Outside Hilton Head
- Lander Youth Climbing Initiative, International Climbers’ Festival/Wild Iris
- Maroon Bells Trail Reconstruction and Restoration Project, Colorado Fourteeners Initiative/Ute Mountaineer
- Marsh Ambassadors Program Center, Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Foundation/Wild River Outfitters
- NatureFEST, Mississippi Museum of Natural Science Foundation/Buffalo Peak Outfitters
- Project Outdoor C.A.R.E., Outdoor C.A.R.E. (Conservation and Recreation Education)/Pack Rat Outdoor Center
- Six Rivers Adventure League, Six Rivers Regional Land Conservancy/Backcountry North
- Supporting BLM’s River Trips for Rural Montana Schoolchildren, Friends of the Missouri Breaks Monument/Base Camp
- Triangle Youth Conservation Corps, Conservation Trust for North Carolina/Great Outdoor Provision Co.
- Waldo Canyon Trail Improvement Project, Rocky Mountain Field Institute/Mountain Chalet